Who We Are
SD No.8 provides support for students who require technology to access their learning and/or communication.
What We Do
Shannon is an SD No.8 Speech-Language Pathologist who works with students with complex communication needs by implementing Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) systems. She helps the students, school staff, and families find the right tools and technology to support and develop each student’s communication competence. AAC can include but is not limited to, sign language, gestures, pictures, text-to-speech software, and voice output communication systems. Shannon focuses on:
- Introducing AAC early, especially to promote receptive language development and provide immersion in the AAC system
- Ensuring an AAC system is designed to meet the student’s immediate communication needs and also to facilitate further linguistic development
- Acting on the knowledge that AAC does not inhibit natural speech
- Ensuring the student has abundant opportunities to observe proficient use of an AAC system. This will ensure that the student using AAC, like his or her typically developing peers, benefits from observing fluent communication in his or her own expressive modality.
- Working in conjunction with a student’s family, teacher, and other professionals to ensure that AAC recommendations are consistent with language, learning and other goals. These goals are often identified in a student’s individualized education plan.
- Analyzing the communication and participation skills and patterns of the student’s peers to inform vocabulary and implementation planning
- Considering core vocabulary needs to ensure a combination of developmental, environmental and functional vocabulary is included in the student’s system
- Support a student’s communication partners in knowing how to use the AAC system and how best to interact with the student using the system.
For more information please contact Shannon Carter. Shannon is also a SET-BC District Partner, providing Tier 2 and 3 supports for students with complex needs and their educational teams.
For more information coantact Lisa Tremblay.
Contact Shannon Carter or Lisa Tremblay directly to discuss potential referrals.